Before I figured out the solution to these problems, I was sick all the time! I had sinus headaches, post-nasal drip, and mucus in my throat daily. So, how did I cure myself of these issues? The short answer: I gave up dairy. I gave up dairy 2 ½ years ago, which was very difficult at first because I LOVED cheese. Luckily, I have found some great dairy alternatives (see list below). Later I learned that dairy has chemicals that resemble morphine and has addictive properties, which is why we love these products so much. I have found that the less dairy I eat, the less I crave it.
Why is dairy so bad? To read an article by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) on the health concerns of dairy products, go here: Health Concerns of Dairy Products
How do you get your calcium? There are many non-animal sources of calcium including:
- Chia seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Barley grass powder
- Dark leafy green vegetables
- Brussels sprouts
- Almond milk
- Almond butter
- Blackstrap molasses
What are some non-dairy products that can be used in place of dairy products? These products are yummy, quick fixes for recipes and for cravings, but should only be used rarely; they are processed food and some contain processed soy. If available, get the options that are soy-free and organic.
- Cheese = Teese “cheese,” (the nacho sauce is amazing!), Daiya shredded “cheese”
- Parmesan cheese = Vegan Grated Parmesan Flavor
- Cream Cheese = Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream = Tofutti Sour Supreme
- Milk = Coconut, Hemp, Rice, or Almond milk
- Yogurt = So Delicious coconut yogurt
- Ice cream = coconut, almond, or rice ice cream (coconut is my favorite)
- Butter = Earth Balance
- Creamer = So Delicious (French Vanilla or Original flavors)
- Ranch = Follow Your Heart Vegan Ranch
- Honey Mustard = Follow Your Heart Vegan Honey Mustard
- Caesar Dressing = Follow Your Heart Vegan Caesar Dressing
Where do I buy these non-dairy products? You can buy some at your local grocery store. Others, you’ll have to look at your local health food store or healthy grocery store such as Whole Foods.
Are there even healthier dairy alternatives? Yes! You can make your own! To see how, go here: DIY Dairy Alternatives
Do you have some of the same symptoms as I did? Or do you just want to make the change to be healthier? I challenge you to try to give up dairy for 21 days. Then, let me know how you feel when you’re done in the comments below!